Serving Spokane | Post Falls | Tri-Cities | Coeur d’Alene
Throughout most of the year, it’s easy to forget about the crawl spaces in your home. However, in the spring and summer, warm temperatures may cause your crawl space to emit an unpleasant odor that is harder to ignore. These odors are often the result of pests, which leave behind urine and feces that will begin to smell, especially in warm weather.
A dreadful odor isn’t the only problem that a dirty crawl space can cause. Some studies suggest that over 60% of homes with poorly maintained crawl spaces face issues like visible mold growth and high moisture levels in addition to low air quality and pest problems. Keeping your crawl space clean and pest-free is important in protecting your home and health.
Signs You Need to Clean Your Crawl Space
A clean crawl space can help eliminate pests while improving indoor air quality. However, since these areas are normally hidden or out-of-the-way, it can be challenging to determine when it’s time to schedule a cleaning service. Here are some signs that your crawl space needs to be cleaned:
- You notice signs (and smells) of pests. Crawl spaces may be dark and abandoned spaces for us, but they’re a haven for pests. Signs of an infestation near your crawl space – such as droppings, foul odors, or gnawing marks – are also big signs that you should schedule a cleaning.
- Air quality is poor throughout your home. As the insulation in your crawl space or attic becomes damaged over time, this affects more than just energy efficiency; 40 to 70% of the air you breathe in your home comes from your crawl space which, if not addressed, can become detrimental to your health. A thorough cleaning can help remove these contaminants and improve your air quality.
- Your home has moisture problems. As air from the crawl space enters your home, so does any humidity. If you have moisture problems in your home – especially in rooms close to the crawl space – you may want to contact a specialist. By cleaning out your crawl space, they can also help identify the root cause of moisture problems.
- There is mold or mildew in your home. Moist air and spores can travel from your crawl space into your home. Mold or mildew without an apparent cause, particularly in areas near your crawl space, could be a sign that your crawl space needs attention.
- Materials near your crawl space are decaying. Pests and moisture from a dirty crawl space could impact other materials in your home. Signs of damage or decay, such as warped wood or gnawing marks, could indicate that your crawl space could benefit from a cleaning.
Dependable Crawl Space Pest Control
If your home has a crawl space, it’s important to keep it clean and pest-free. Thankfully, the experts at Eden Advanced Pest Technologies in Spokane WA are here to help! Our knowledgeable specialists can help with all of your crawl space needs, including:
- Pest removal
- Odor elimination
If you need crawl space cleaning, call our experts today to schedule an appointment!