Serving Spokane Metro | Coeur d’Alene ID | Post Falls ID | Tri-Cities WA
Insulation in your crawl space or attic can increase your home’s energy efficiency. However, insulation can wear out or become damaged over time. Old or damaged insulation is not just ineffective – it could also be detrimental to your health.
Worn out materials could trap moisture, mold, pest residue, or other dangerous substances. As the insulation in your crawl space or attic becomes damaged over time, this affects more than just energy efficiency; 40 to 70% of the air you breathe in your home comes from your crawlspace, which can become detrimental to your health if not addressed.
Signs You Need to Clean Your Crawl Space
A clean crawl space can help eliminate pests while improving indoor air quality. However, since these areas are normally hidden or out-of-the-way, it can be challenging to determine when it’s time to schedule a cleaning service. Here are some signs that your crawl space needs to be cleaned:
- Your insulation is old. Old insulation isn’t as effective or energy efficient as fresh material. So, if your insulation is 10 years or older, it may be time to consider a replacement.
- There are foul odors. Over time, insulation can trap all sorts of contaminants – including things like moisture, mold, dust, and pest droppings. Together, these substances can create a foul or musky odor that could travel into the rest of your home. Replacing your insulation can clear out these contaminants.
- You see signs of pests. Crawl spaces and attics are low-traffic areas that make perfect homes for pests. Rodents in particular love to chew up and burrow inside of insulation, leaving behind droppings and urine that ruins the material. Pests in your insulation is a huge sign that your insulation needs to be replaced.
- There’s water damage. A leak in your crawl space or attic could lead to wet insulation, which is the perfect environment for mold and mildew to grow. Mold can be toxic to your health, so it’s important to have a professional remove any wet insulation in your home.
- Your utility bills are high. If your insulation is worn out, you may end up paying more on heating or cooling to keep your home a comfortable temperature. If your utility bills are gradually climbing, you may want to assess the condition of your insulation.
- The insulation is thin. Insulation is measured by an R-Value, which corresponds to how thick the material is on a scale of two to eight inches. A higher R-Value generally indicates that the insulation is more effective. If your insulation has a low R-Value, you may want to replace it with a thicker option.
Why Call Insulation Removal Experts?
Insulation removal and replacement may seem like a simple enough task. While it might be tempting to DIY the project, there are a few reasons why it may be better to leave this job to the professionals:
- Insulation removal is a messy process.
- There could be mold or other toxic materials.
- Professionals have specialized equipment.
- We can get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Dependable Insulation Replacement
If your insulation needs to be replaced, call the experts at Eden Advanced Pest Technologies! Our skilled specialists are trusted by homeowners in the greater Spokane WA and Coeur d’Alene ID area for their reliable and efficient service. We are prepared to help you with all of your insulation replacement needs – just call us today to set up an appointment!